Scallop claypot rice, from the menu of Fukuharu (serves 2-4)
- 200g of Japanese rice
- 8-10 pieces scallops
- 50g of sansai (mixed Japanese wild vegetables)
- 350ml of dashi
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp of light shoyu (Japanese soy sauce)
- 1.5 tsp of mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
- shredded nori (dried seaweed), for topping
1. Wash the rice several times and strain the water in a sieve for 30 minutes.
2. In a six-inch claypot, put in the rice, dashi, salt, light shoyu and mirin.
3. Cook over high heat until boiling. Then lower the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. While the rice is being cooked, sauteed the scallop with butter. Add salt, pepper and shoyu.
5. Five minutes before the rice is cooked, add the sauteed scallops and sansai. Put the claypot cover back and cook till done.
6. Garnish with shredded nori and serve hot.
As with anything Japanese, it´s first a visual feast before it becomes a feast for your palate. And yes, it´s indeed a feast for any palate!
From "Memorable kaiseki flavours"